Friday, March 7, 2008

Remembering The Future

I remember- the assembly hall and prayers, the graffiti in the toilet, the gossip between the classes, the hide-n-seek and lock-n-keys, the alphabets and numbers, my drawing book, the nursery games, my seniors in full trousers, my juniors with running nose, the swings I never dared to ride, the volleyball games I never played, the 15th Augusts and 21st Februarys*, the Friday parades, the Saturday holidays, the craft classes I bunked, the practicals I escaped, the geography classes I slept in, the long anxious wait for computer practicals, the spelling-dictation tests, the maths classes I hated, my Physics sir and his abuses, my English teacher, the maths tables, the rhymes, the school van, the biology books, the boring chemistry, the hawkers outside the school gate, the ever vigilant gatekeeper, the remarks in my report card, the zeros in maths class tests, the why-so-short tiffin-times, the project works and scrapbooks, the Annual Concert and Fest, the Radhaballavi during the Annual Exhibition, the mango trees, the open school stage, the meditation room, the late signs in my school calendar, the rainy days, the summer vacations, the smell of new books, the school badge and tie, returning home with soiled school uniform, the "get out of the classroom"-s, the imposition monster, the empty Fun Munch packets, the silence in the library, the money wasted on my biology box(it's still lying in my cupboard unused), the apron packet, the test tubes I broke in full sense, our dream magazine Sparkle, our famous ABCD Group and its secret missions, the writings on the blackboard, the roll calls, the "good morning teacher" and "I will never do it again(I used to repeat again and again), the brown papers and labels, the broken chalk pieces, the free classes, the result days, the Parent-Teacher meetings, the term exams, the homeworks I forgot, the synonyms and antonyms, the Tuqlaks of history, the Timbuktu of geography, Don Quixote and other stories from Radiant Reader, the matras in Bangla(well almost), the time-table, the piano room and Shakti House, the Sports Day, the friendly rivalries among the school Houses, my classmates I lost contact with but want to meet again, the infatuations(now I know the spelling and meaning both), the thrill of appearing in the board exam, the farewell day, the essays and letters, the loitering in the corridors, the instances when I escaped unnoticed with unpolished shoes from a surprise inspection, the game of football with brick pieces, the ping-pong cricket sessions, the chess tournament we organised in Class-V, the table-tennis board, our rival group SFFS(the name of their group kept on changing with the number of members they had), the partial teaching (I don’t like calling them teachers) and non-teaching staff, the Pechandra, the stories we developed between classes (Bees saal , TBMM and Lemre), the nicknames of my classmates, the bicycle of one of my dear friend, the Karate expert in my classroom(he is no longer my friend), the white canvas shoes and the black Naughty Boy shoes, the cruel third language teacher, the reluctant Bengali ma’am, the first day of every new session, the ‘Ratna’ of our class, the Jhanta Claus, our secret hideouts, Enid Blyton, the 6 books I lost in Class-VIII, the water bottles and tiffin boxes I forgot and lost eventually, the notorious tiffin stealer(s) of our class, the flat nose of one of my friend, our German teacher whom we fondly called ‘Mem aunty’, the wounds in the knee, the school bags, Natraj pencils and erasers(I used to call it rubber), the peculiar madame who unsuccessfully tried to teach us French in French, the last minute revisions before exams, the question papers, the thatched classrooms, the rabbits and the peahen, the Bill of our school, the Pondicherry trip, the funny Hindi sir, the small yet beautiful lake, the school printing machine, my Principal who is no more, the moral science classes, the PT classes, the last day in school, the goondas of our class, the fights with fake bullets, criss-cross and book cricket, the weekend recitation club, the Rabindra Sangeet we learnt in Class-III, the plays I enacted, the school captain I adored and the one whom I hated, the prefects and the unfair advantages they enjoyed, the stars I earned in class assignments(specially the one that I earned in Class-III), one of my computer teacher, one of my maths teacher(for the wrong reasons), my gang of friends….I remember my school days.

About the title: The name of my school is The Future Foundation School.

* The Mother's birthday- an important day in our school calendar


4 comments:

Unknown said...

to good yaar...u reminded me off my school days...really....
missing my school days also....
beautifully written....

Unknown said...

Your words made me feel nostalgic too. During the years spent in school, there were a dozen of things, if not more, which I hated. However, as years passed by, the realization dawned that I had left the best years of my life behind.....those spent in the school (I was a KVian). Now, I can only surf the memories of those days and just sigh as I would never be able to relive those golden years again.

nonsensewares said...

between us, my school was glad to shake me off after those twlve gruelling years. that it tolerated me for so long tells you how great a school it was, is, and will remain. it's just that i have been unworthy to live up to its name. the fun part is those teachers and students still keep calling me, and i'm still struggling to figure out why. may be i've been after all a classic example of what a student should never be like. let's share one anecdote. there was this teacher who kept scratching his neck all the time for reasons let me not elaborate. on finding a scrawny scarecrow(i.e. yours truly)simulating his actions, he decided to have it hung on the wall and proceeded towards it with some alacrity. on the way he said, 'you are a most awful joker who can only irritate people.' not one to be outdone, i stood up and said, with a staright face "sir, if i am a joker, then you are a trainer. and if i can't do what i am expected to do, then i suppose you are not a good enough trainer." it earned me a whole day knelt down before the headmaster's chamber but i don't regret it. amazingly, when this teacher meets me these days, which of course happens every once in three years or so, he gives an impression as if we have been a couple in love for the past thirty years. you have been too observant and sensitive a student. but then there were the black sheeps as well. frankly, i miss these confrontations too. belive me, i have so much affection for this gentleman even today-he cared enough to try to make sure that i do the thing that i was born and schooled to do. rare men, i say. a lost tribe who believed. i miss him.

Anonymous said...

hey, you have missed the attendance register, which went missing in class X. if not, many of us, including you and me would not have been able to sit for our ICSE exams, thanks to our poor attendance.