Friday, July 4, 2008

The Silent Mischief-maker

How can nonliving things trouble you? Ask me- the victim of numerous such incidences. Yes, you heard it right. Although it is weird, it happens with me quite often. They torture me to the hilt and make my life hell at times when I least expect them. And this is happening since my childhood days.

It happens like this: It’s already midnight. I am getting ready to start my maths home- work – 10 trigonometry problems which, considering my low IQ, can burn the entire stock of midnight oil. I take out my exercise book with all my left over energy and get ready to start, but not yet. “Where is the pencil? I guess I put it in the pencil box before going to dinner, didn’t I?” – I ask to myself in vain, desperately searching it on the bed, under the pillow, under the bed sheet, inside my pocket, on the dining table, the book shelf and every other possible place where it can be. Ultimately after twenty minutes of combing operation I give up and sit wondering where it must have gone, reluctantly flipping through the pages of my Trigonometry Book, and here it is- the pencil, sitting pretty inside the cozy comfort of the book. “Disgusting?” I shout. But who will listen? After all it’s only a lifeless pencil. But how surprising, it is mischievous enough to waste my precious time.

If you are not satisfied with one incidence then sample this. 9.30 in the morning. As usual I have woken up late and got ready for office in a hurry. No time for breakfast. All I have managed in haste is to answer the basic urges (and that include bathing). And then when everything was going fine, I discover my socks are missing from the shoe rack. I go for another pair but fail to find any. Either they are dirty or they are distant relatives (I mean they don’t make a pair). So what can I do now? I have a meeting to attend and can’t go in slippers. I curse myself, my socks, my life, my servant and everyone who could be responsible for it and look at the clock to find that it’s already five minutes to ten. Clueless about what to do I take out the shoe polish from the back of the rack and there they lie cuddled to each other. I feel like kicking them in the back. But again, it’s useless. What would happen to them? They are lifeless.

There are several such instances. If I recollect them properly I can write a whole book on these lifeless creatures. But I guess for now two is enough to make a mockery of myself to the world.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful...........never thought that these lifeless creatures r nightmares....though i know it but fail to confiem till date......... now i know who'z the devil!!!!

Unknown said...

Interesting post and funny too...

So, when is the next installment of these silent mischief mongers coming???

Anonymous said...

taao to bhaalo re, aami je ki bhulo hochchhi din din!!! sedin shaala ghore hothat ek gonfdaaRi wola paaglate cheharar lokke dekhe chomke uthechhilum. taarpor dekhi otaa aamari chhaya- Aaynay!

aar computer jontor taao aamay moha jaalay aajkal, kothaay je file gulo raakhi, khujei paai naa! dibyi mone aachhe, "F" drive e rekhechhilum, dorkaarer samay paai naa. pore konodin hoyto unki dilo "my documents" theke!